Monday, July 7, 2008

First Week on the JOB!!!

Well My first week was way exciting!! I am working with the 3 year olds and I love it!! They are so cute!! I have 15 kids! One I have never met because she is super sick in the hospital, but the rest I have come to love dearly!! They are such cute kids!! 
Waking up was an accomplishment but my body is already use to it! I wake up around 7:30am every day! Get ready and leave for work by 8:30am! When I arrive I right down the time and go into my class! The day is packed full but never very organized! I am trying to change that! When I arrive we put sunscreen on and finish cleaning up centers. 
The Schedule for every day
*Center Time
*Snack Time
*Outdoor time
*Circle Time (Calendar)
*Choice Centers
*Lunch
*2 HOUR nap time!!
*Small Centers
*Snack
*Outdoor Time
*Circle Time (Learning Concept)
*Small Groups
*Centers 
*Parent Pick up!!

Days go by fast! Here is my basic first week run down!

MONDAY! WOW I arrived at work and they put me strait to the books training! I had to read a 180 page manual! It was a lot of reading and reviewing from all my classes I have taken! It focused on diaper changing, washing hands, developmentally appropriate practice, getting along with others, medical help, food handling, etc.  SO EXCITING! NOT! After I finished I took my one hour break and was put into the class room! Meeting all the kids was so fun!! Basically I just got the feel of the classroom! My walls were so blank, there seemed to be no control! Immediately My co-teacher and I got along! We discussed the room and decided to totally redo all the walls! There wasn't one alphabet posted or numbers! It was just so plain. Pictures were falling off  the walls, so I started to tear stuff down. The walls were blank for a few days!

TUESDAY! My first full day in the classroom! My co-teacher kinda let me take the reins.  We were talking about food and nutrition.  The kids really get along well! I love them! I can't believe that they all take almost 2 hour naps! 

Basically the rest of the week followed just like the beginning! I continued to add to the room walls! I went to all-a-dollar and sent around $25 on supplies to decorate the room! It is finally turning into a preschool room more than a day care! Everyday has a theme which is fun! 

WEDNESDAY! Is bike day! Each kid brings their own bike from home with a helmet! They are able to ride their bikes during outdoor play.

Thursday is water day!! So all the kids wear swimming suits and run through the water during outdoor play! 

Friday is Ice cream day! The ice cream man actually comes and sells ice cream to the kids!

Everyone seems to like me! I was told by the cook that I was a teacher sent from heaven.  I guess the previous teacher was horrible and didn't get along with the rest of the staff! I felt really bad about that. But she seemed to treat the class like a daycare rather than a preschool and wouldn't take input from anyone.  I am trying to change that. I guess she would bribe the kids with candy in order to get them to do stuff! She also rewarded with stickers! I don't believe in those kinds of rewards.  I think learning and accomplishing a skill should be for the child's own knowledge and growth rather than just for a treat! 
My Co-teacher says that she loves coming to work now! So that makes me happy! I am glad that I can be a positive influence! 

Anyways...I really enjoy my class! I am excited this week we are focusing on our bodies! Today we traced their bodies! We will continue to add and build! I think the parents are seeing the difference which is awesome! 

 I love my JOB!!

2 comments:

  1. o HAPPY that you like your new job!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! You deserve to have a job that you absolutley love! I miss you already and hope you had a great time in Bear lake... Sure love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! Mindy just told me about your blog.. way cute! I had no idea that you are a teacher! Congrats that is so exciting! You look GREAT!

    ReplyDelete

Life in the MAKING! !

Daisypath Christmas tickers