Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Living a Nightmare....

Yesterday had to be one of the hardest days of my life! 

At work I got back from break at about 2:30pm My kids were still sound asleep during nap time when over the intercom came my assistant director saying, " CODE RED, Everyone Evacuate!"  At first I thought it was a drill and then I saw a bunch of firemen standing in our lobby!  Come to find out there is a natural gas leak, that could explode! It was on the corner of our parking lot! They evacuated the whole U of U campus, and multiple preschools!
 
Yes!! I had to awaken 12, 3 year olds get them in line and out the door. I lined them up counted them, grabbed their coats and got out the door to the back playground! From there we counted heads again! Luckily I grabbed coats because we were then evacuated not knowing where we were going! We usually would go across the street to the Pingree school! But they were also evacuated! So, Imagine this over 100 students ranging from 6 WEEKS to 6 years old walking almost a mile!! I had 12 kids to my self walking across the parking lot! Thru traffic across Guardsman Way down past Rowland Hall... To the corner of Sunnyside and Guardsman! We stood there not knowing where we were going! My kids were cold and not wanting to hold hands anymore! They did such a good job following directions! 

We continued our journey down busy 8th south(Sunnyside) I was so worried about my kids runny into the traffic! Some people are such jerky drivers! We got to the light kiddy corner to East highschool! As we were crossing the busy intersection one of my kids lost his shoe! All I could do is pick him up and keep going! Luckily another teacher picked them up! As we got to the corner where 7-11 is we waited for the light! It amazed me how rude drivers could be! The light went green and we began to cross! Imagine 2 teachers helping like 20, 2 and 3 year olds across 1300 east and 800 south! One of the busy intersections by campus! Just to prove how dumb drivers are before we had made even half way across a car turned right almost hitting a child! Scaring 3 others who stopped in the intersection and didn't want to walk! 
We finally made it to East High School everyone safe! I got to the stair well and said to my kids come give me a hug! That was the best feeling hug ever!! Knowing we had all gotten there safely! 
I have to say I am extremely proud of my self for not panicking! I still to this moment  want to break down and fall apart! I love all my kids as if they were my own! I can't even imagine how I would feel if I was a parent seeing my kids on the news walking the street!  

I just want to thank all the parents for their support! Today they provided us with food and snacks for the day! The most amazing fruit bouquet, eclairs, donuts, bagels and more!! 
I know I learned alot! I never want to be in that position alone again! 12 kids are too many by my self! I am grateful to the Lord for getting me through!!  I love my kids and co-workers! You were all amazing!!

2 comments:

  1. Are you saying you wouldn't want to be "Octo-Mom?" Ha ha! Sounds like you did AMAZING! I would totally want you to be my kids teacher! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie! I am crying.. yes it is late, but still! Mom told me about this. I know how hard this probably was for you. You worked well through every little detail, you are seriously amazing. I AM SO PROUD OF MY SISTER!!!!
    P.S.
    How are all your Chinese leftovers? hehehe you deserved what ever you wanted that night!
    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Life in the MAKING! !

Daisypath Christmas tickers